Ethiopia Kebel Aricha Natural
Arrived September 2013 in grainpro. Another wonderful, fairly priced Ethiopia natural process from Yirgacheffe district, grown very high and carefully processed. Here are the details.
- Mill: Kebel Aricha
- Owner: Surafel Birhanu Coffee Supplier
- Location: Gedeo Zone, Yirgacheffe district, approx 4 km west of Yirgacheffe town
- Producers: Approx. 650-700 farmers
- Average Production: Approx. 160MT a year of specialty grade coffee (plus 270 MT of commercial-grade)
- Varietal: Heirloom – typica and various other indigenous Ethiopian varietals
- Soil: Red brown, depth of over 1.5m
- Season: New crop (2012/13 harvest)
- Processing: Sun Dried natural. Ripe cherries delivered to mill, where cherries are graded and then placed onto raised drying beds in thin layers and turned every 2-3 hours in the first few days, to avoid over-fermentation and mould growth.4-6 weeks later, depending on weather and temperature, the beans are de-hulled. The beans are then transported to Addis in parchment, then milled prior to shipping. Sold through the ECX (Ethiopian Commodity Exchange) system, where this was classified by the ECX Central Liquoring Unit as a Grade 1 natural coffee.
- Altitude: 1950-2100 meters (6400-6900 feet)
- Rainfall: 2000 mm per year, 8 months rainy, 3-4 months dry
Cup Characteristics: Strawberry is the dominant fruit with some lesser cherry notes. There is citrus in the background, notably lime. You may also detect vanilla, rose water and some blackcurrant. Clean, very balanced and graceful, this is an easy , likeable cup which is not overbearing as some naturals can be to the uninitiated.
Quantity in Basket:none
Price per pound : $14.99